Wednesday, March 25, 2009

Finding Lincoln in Springfield


Day 5: Springfield, IL
National Parks Visited: Abraham Lincoln Home NHS
Other Historic Sites Visited: Abraham Lincoln Springfield Museum, Old State Capitol, Lincoln's Tomb, Lincoln Depot


by Briana

Today we had a very fun packed day. First we went to the Springfield Lincoln Museum. When we got to the museum, we found out it was huge! There were two sections that depicted his life in order. The fist sections was his early years. They showed the log cabin he lived in. he loved to read books that he got, which happened rarely. They showed his years living in the store with his friend, his kids playing in his law office with no cares in the world and even when he witnessed a slave auction. The second section showed his time in the White House. They showed how people drew cartoons making fun of Lincoln and his decision. They showed how their son Willie died in the White House. Mary Todd Lincoln mourned and wore black from then on. Another exhibit showed where Lincoln joined his Cabinet members together to ask them for advice about emancipation. Then at the end was his funeral. After that we watched a hologram movie about artifacts. Then we visited the Old State Capitol. We saw different artifacts that were there when Lincoln was in the building. After we went to Lincoln's house. he lived there with his wife and children. While living in that house, he found out he would be president. Later we went to the railroad station where Lincoln made his farewell speech before going to Washington. After a long day of running around to different places to go to play at a park!

by Maya

Wow! All I can say is busy, busy, busy. Today was great. our first trip was to the Springfield Lincoln Museum. It was so great. We saw two wonderful movies. My favorite was the one where we got to hear sound effects, see different faces of Lincoln and feel our chair SHAKE! It was so fun. Oooooh, I also got to see Lincoln's stovepipe hat! Mine was almost as cool as his, but not as authentic. The second trip we did was go to lunch. Oh boy, I had Subway. Most people were going crazy about Coldstone, but not me. The third trip we did was go to Abe Lincoln's Home and an African-American's home. His name was Jameson Jenkins. We had a great tour guide and he gave us lots of information that made us closer to Lincoln. And he gave us souvenir pennies. Wooo! that was nice. The fourth trip we took that day was to go to Lincoln's tomb. it was so big. He is buried facing east and west. He is buried under two sets of concrete so people wouldn't steal his body. The fifth trip was to the Springfield train depot where Lincoln said his Farewell Speech to his hometown, before heading to Washington, DC after winning his first presidential election. We said it well. Then Ms. Trenkle surprised us and took us to a big park where we could relax. An hour after we got tot he hotel we had pizza and it was good. We also got to go over the schedule for tomorrow. What we are doing is....well, you will have to find out tomorrow.


by Tyquia

We went to the best museum ever...the Springfield Lincoln Museum. We saw a replica of every Lincoln things from his childhood home to his coffin. Everything looked so real and felt even more real. I really enjoyed the view and hologram movie. After we went to the Old State Capitol and ate lunch. Ranger Jason gave us a tour of Lincoln's home during the time he was a lawyer. We enjoyed Ranger Jason, and learned more facts which caught my attention. We went inside Lincoln's Tomb where he, his and three of his four children are buried. It was very touching. We went tot he Springfield Train Depot and read an excerpt of one of his speeches he gave. There we felt like little Lincolns. To close the day we went to a nearby park for some air, ate dinner, had a meeting in reference to tomorrow, and had more free time. It was the best!


by Linstrum

Today was great. I mean we did so much! First we went to a museum. I did and learned so much. We watched two movies, one was 4-D and the other was a hologram. We had three exhibits to view and I enjoyed them. Next we went to the Old Capitol Building where Abe gave some of his thoughts and so much more. Next, we had lunch and I had Subway and Coldstone ice cream. Then we went to his house and NPS (Stamps!). Whew! Wow! We also saw houses in Lincoln's neighborhood and a plot of land that used to have a house that was used as stop on the Underground Railroad. When we left we went to the train depot and took pictures and also said one of Lincoln's famous speeches on his way to D.C. After we went to Douglas park and played for about 40 minutes. Then, we left for the hotel and had dinner, followed by the pool for fun. Good night!


by Katie

Today was our most Lincoln-ish day. We visited the Springfield Lincoln Museum, his home, his burial site and the farewell train station. The museum was cool and was incredibly realistic. It definitely gave the Newseum a run for its money. His burial site was a serene, respectful atmosphere that gave Lincoln the honor he deserves. It was more beautiful than I could have ever imagined. His home wasn't the log cabin that is associated with Lincoln, but he lived in an upper class, fancy house with many luxuries. Finally, we visited the train station of Sprinfield. We crammed poor ol' Lincoln in our heads today with all we learned about him, but it was all pretty cool.

by Kelsea

Today was another exciting day on our eight day trip! And as always, we did some pretty exciting things. First, we went to the Springfield Lincoln Museum. They had an awesome hologram play that gave the Newseum's 4-D movie a run for its money. We then went to lunch, and continued on to visit Lincoln's home, which is a National Historic Site. We then boarded the bus and went to Abraham Lincoln's tomb/burial site. Being there is sad, but was beautiful. We then went to the train depot where Lincoln gave his farewell speech to the people of Springfield, Illinois. We even read the speech for ourselves. STAMPS concluded the day with a group meeting. Tomorrow will be fun too, and you can definitely expect us to post to the blog.

Kelsea is having a lot of fun on this trip and wishes to say hello to her mom, dad and brother. :)

by Sertira

On day five of our Lincoln trip we visited Lincoln's house in Illinois, his museum, and his burial site. When we visited his museum it was so amazing. i really enjoyed the exhibits about President Lincoln. After that, we went to his house. I really liked looking at his artifacts that were kept over time. Then, we went down to his house which was also preserved by his son although then we watched a movie about his election. Finally, we got to see where President Lincoln is buried. His tomb is so lovely. I had a lot of fun going inside and looking at his tomb. We finally took a trip to the park--yes!

Sertira loves to swing and hates ignorance.

by Liz

Today we went to the Springfield Lincoln Museum. On the bus, Ms. Trenkle told us that we couldn't take pictures or bring electronics into the museum. I thought "Wow, it better be a great museum to have all these conditions!" I found out that it was! There were exhibits showing Lincoln's cabin, the White House, his law firm, a slave auction, Lincoln's funeral, and way more. They had dresses exhibited in a faux White House, cartoons opposing Lincoln and a video called "The Civil War in Sixty Seconds" that showed Union and Confederate territories and the death tolls. There was also a really cool video of this guy who we thought was just talking to us, but at the end of the movie he turned into a ghost and blew us away! I know that sounds weird, but it was so cool and realistic! I thought the museum was a so awesome and thought it was definitely as cool as the Newseum!

Liz is an 8th grade STAMPSer who is so excited to go to the St. Louis Arch tomorrow, and is sad that we are eating at the Spaghetti Factory. Spaghetti is gross.


by Alexandria

At first I thought seeing the "Little Giant" was my favorite part of the day. Or maybe even the museum. I changed my mind (like I do about most things) though. I liked the train depot a lot. The museum may have been the most educational and exciting but when i went to the train depot I felt closer to Lincoln for some reason. When we read the speech he gave many years ago the town returned to the way it used to be (in my mind). I heard the applause, the boos and the crying. I felt proud. When we finished the speech the town returned to the way it used to be. People reached for souvenirs--some were pieces of rusted metal laying on the tracks. Ms. Trenkle said, "I hope you had your tetanus shot." They dropped it after she said that though. The people began reaching for rocks close to the ground that were probably there when Lincoln was. I found a white one with dirt. Then i dropped it. I took one last look, but the town looked the same. I guess people can only really see flashbacks in movies.

My name is Alexandria. I did end up picking up that rock again.


by Dyani

Today was a long day. First we went to the Lincoln Museum in Springfield. We arrived and were amazed (well, at least I was). We got to travel through Lincoln's boyhood home (replica) and experience what he saw in a way. Next, we went to a hologram type movie that was like magic. I really enjoyed it. Then, we took a tour through Lincoln's presidency. It was life like. Lastly, we saw a 4-D movie. it was fun. That was just one of our four stops today!

(Go Lincoln Go!)

1 comment:

  1. Hi All,
    Day 5 sounds amazing! Everthing from the hologram, to the burial site, to the train station to the Coldstone ice cream sounds amazing. Ms. Trenkle and the park rangers have given you wonderful wonderful experiences.

    ReplyDelete