Wednesday, March 25, 2009

A Greeting from Lincoln?


by Ms. Trenkle

I've been reluctant to write primarily because I want the kids to share their stories and for all of our readers to hear about the trip from them. I want you to see our experience through their eyes.
However, I do have to share about an experience today that the kids didn't write about (and since they didn't write about it I feel I can share!). :)

After our terrific morning/early afternoon at Lincoln's Boyhood Home we headed toward our evening destination: Springfield, IL. Including lunch, we spent a little more than five hours getting there. Evansville was gorgeous! Weather that had to be in the 70s, a warm breeze, sunshine...absolutely perfect! Lunch was the same. However, as we drove west, it began to cloud up and sometime between The Office, Season 3 and Beyonce Live, it started to rain. It rained for a good while. But as we neared our hotel, the sun started to poke through the clouds. And, when we looked out the window to our right, with a backdrop of dark rain clouds, we saw the most stunning, point-to-point, gorgeous, vibrant rainbow!

As we continued down the road, there was not only one beautiful rainbow, but two! Anyone who knows me, knows that I have loved rainbows since I was a little, little girl and am still mesmerized by them. It was so awesome to see them. We all snapped pictures out of the windows trying to capture a little bit of their beauty.

And someone reminded us (I think it was Ms. Jen!) that it was another Arch! Maybe it was a sign that we're getting closer and closer to our western terminus of St. Louis and on the right road! Or maybe, it was Lincoln's way of greeting us! Either way, it was a beautiful site and one I think we will all remember!

No comments:

Post a Comment